Wednesday 28 May 2014

Topic Video: Book Reviews

Hello everyone!

The topic of today is reading, so here we have a double activity with an author's description of her latest novel and an author telling us about what she's reading at the moment. Note this vocabulary:

First video:

to run afoul of the law (new for me!)
neat - a neat guy

Second video:

Notice the pronunciation of the title (French words in English): Les Miserables
I figured... = I thought, I considered
Western literature

Book review:  Moving Target

1. What was difficult from having so many characters in different locations in Moving Target?
2. There are two mysteries in the book. Who is the second one about?
3. How much can she tell us about the last book she describes?



What are you reading?

1. The book she's reading
a) is based on a musical
b) is hard to read from cover to cover (from beginning to end)
c) is not an adaptation.

2. As she reads the book
a) she likes to listen to the songs from the musical
b) she realizes why it's considered such a great book
c) she thinks she should've read it earlier in life





Enjoy! As usual, key here.

And remember you can share things with us in the comments section. What are you reading at the moment? Any books on your nightstand? Here's mine.

5 comments:

  1. Shall I also share this article from the news?http://www.google.es/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=6&ved=0CEoQFjAF&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.telegraph.co.uk%2Fculture%2Fbooks%2Fbooknews%2F10875476%2FJohn-Banville-wins-Spanish-literary-award.html&ei=kieUU9SBOILS0QXA6ID4Cg&usg=AFQjCNFhOWWvKxg2FvWNY9mhW3z9oE_SSw&sig2=hwGhM-dPD622L2FLOF284A&bvm=bv.68445247,d.d2k

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Encarna!

      Thank you! I'll just try to make the article more readily available here:

      http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/books/booknews/10875476/John-Banville-wins-Spanish-literary-award.html

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I didn't know John Banville, thanks!

    Currently I'm reading a Spanish edition of Brian Fagan's 'The little ice age' and the first volume of Game of Thrones.

    I bought the book by Fagan because of the subject, but I wish he deepened some subjects a bit. Although it's a very good introductory reading, now I wonder if I want to keep it in the bookshelf. This raises a question: what books would you buy just for eReaders? On the flipside, what books do you love enough to buy a durable hardcover edition?

    Here I go with some examples:
    - Game of Thrones --> eReader
    - The diaries of Adam and Eve --> paperback
    - Crime and Punishment --> hardcover

    (anything by Ruiz Zafón --> fireplace).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha, that is so hard on Ruiz Zafón, Ángel! Come on, it's not that bad, it's light summer reading! Escapist literature must also exist.

      I would go along with you on investing in Crime and Punishment. One novel I have several copies of (including a hardback) is Wuthering Heights.

      As to non-fiction, anything by Roy Porter has pride of place in my bookcase.

      Thanks for commenting! I think you may have started a very interesting thread (if people are willing to comment)!

      Delete